Monday, March 3, 2008

Flavor of the Month

My new flavor of the month is hiking the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I really don't know what exactly brought this on, but I have a great view from my 6th floor office in Waltham looking over a lake with a couple islands, also I read about Shakleton's expidition to Antartica and other stories of survival in Antartica (one where a guy had to reattach the soles of his feet each day {WHAT?!?!}), but i think it was the passing of Sir Edmund Hillary who was the first to climbed Mt. Everest with Tenzig Norgay.

I used to be in the Boy Scouts and we went camping every month and two weeks in the summer.  I also climbed Mount Liberty with my father and a friend of his.  I had thought for a while that I really didn't ever want to go camping or hiking again. I had done enough for a lifetime.

However, something has gotten into me and I now have a goal of climing NH's 4000's within the next ten years my lifetime.  I'm pretty exited!  Will I do day hikes or weekend treks? I'm not sure. So I have to get the equipment together, buy a new tent and backpack.


Hillary and Norgay

No comments: